- This event has passed.
14 Nov 2019
12:00 am - 11:59 pm
The primary aim of the World Diabetes Day and World Diabetes Month 2019 campaign is to raise awareness of the impact that diabetes has on the family and to promote the role of the family in the management, care, prevention and education of the condition.
The WDD 2019 has three main focus areas:
(1) Detecting diabetes early involves the family too.
- One in every two people with diabetes is undiagnosed. Early diagnosis and treatment are key to helping prevent or delay life-threatening complications.
- If type 1 diabetes is not detected early, it can lead to serious disability or death. Know the signs and symptoms to protect yourself and your family
- Diabetes is the leading cause of heart disease, stroke, blindness, kidney failure and lower limb amputation.
(2) Preventing type 2 diabetes involves the family too.
- Many cases of type 2 diabetes can be prevented by adopting a healthy lifestyle. Reducing your family’s risk starts at home.
- When a family eats healthy meals and exercises together, all family members benefit and encourage behaviours that could help prevent type 2 diabetes in the family.
- If you have diabetes in your family, learn about the risks, the warning signs to look out for and what you can do to prevent diabetes and its complications.
- Families need to live in an environment that supports healthy lifestyles and helps them to prevent type 2 diabetes.
(3) Caring for my diabetes involves my family too.
- Managing diabetes requires daily treatment, regular monitoring, a healthy lifestyle and ongoing education. Family support is key.
- All health professionals should have the knowledge and skills to help individuals and families manage diabetes.
- Education and ongoing support should be accessible to all individuals and families to help manage diabetes.
- Essential diabetes medicines and care must be accessible and affordable for every family.